Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mexico Independence Day

Yesterday was Independence Day (September 16th) here in Mexico.  I know, some of you are thinking, "Hey, I thought Mexico's Independence Day was May 5th (Cinco de Mayo).  Well, here's a little history lesson for you:  Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that celebrates the Mexican army's victory over the French army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.  It is not widely celebrated in Mexico- only in the state of Puebla.  It's actually a bigger deal in the U.S. that in Mexico.  Independence Day, on the other hand, is widely celebrated.  Most people have the day off of work.  So yesterday we went to el rancho de los vecinos de los papas de Checo.  Translation:  We went to the "ranch" of some neighbors of Checo's parents.  It is common here for people to have "ranches", out of the city to get away to for weekends or holidays. It was the nicest "ranch" I've ever been to.  Well, it's the only one I've been to.  It actually seemed more like a resort to me.  Here are a couple pictures.
Emma fell asleep and I put her on this nice lawn chair. 
Yes, those are dark circles under my eyes, but they are exaggerated by the make-up that I had on when I went swimming.
Sammy was ready to go home and go to sleep!  He was really tired from not taking a nap.  You can see the pool in the background and the pool house behind that. 

No comments: