15 eggs for $1.83 Interesting tidbit about how eggs are sold in the grocery stores here: THEY ARE NOT REFRIGERATED!!! Yes, that's right, they are just sitting on racks near the bread section.
Ketchup $2.32
1/2 gallon of 2% milk $1.80
2 liter Coke $1.22 Coke tidbit: it is pretty much the national drink here. People drink it with every meal, sometimes even for breakfast! We have limited ourselves to only buying it when we have people over- as you can see we were having people over today, but Checo got into it a little early!
Honeydew melon (I know, it's a terrible picture) costs $0.57 per pound, for a total of $1.71 for this one
Monterrey Jack Cheese $5.75, yes, that's Kirkland brand! We have a Costco here!
4 T-bone steaks $2.76 per pound, this pack cost a total of $8.02! Can you guess what we had for the guests that came over today? That's right...carne asada (basically grilled steak, but no propane bar-b-q's here, good old fashioned charcoal is the only way to do it in Mexico)
Tomatoes- $0.60 per pound, total of $1.05 for all these
Sometimes the price of tomatoes goes as low as $0.08 per pound, when they have an overstock, but those kinds of sales are never advertised, you just have to show up at the store and see the sale!
White Onions $0.76 per pound, total of $1.22 for these ones
Onion tidbit: the onions come peeled like this in the produce section- they do the hard work for you!
Fire Roasted canned tomatoes $1.13
Cheerios $3.33
Potatoes $0.57 per pound, total of $1.42 for these
Potato tidbit: this is pretty much the only kind of potato they sell here, also the small version of the white potato, also they usually cost more like $1.14 per pound, but I got lucky yesterday!!! I went to the store, and lo and behold, they were having one of those "WE HAVE TONS OF POTATOES AND NEED TO GET RID OF THEM QUICKLY" sales.
Chips $2.63
Besides the produce, these prices are always the same. It is very rare to see sales at the grocery store, or at any store for that matter. They do have some COMBO LOCOS (translation: crazy combos) though. For example, they will have advertised, buy this ground beef and get a carton of eggs free! Or buy this shampoo and get a toothbrush free!
Maybe next time I'll get brave and actually take pictures inside of the grocery store for you to really get the shopping experience!
That's all for now. I took more pictures, but it takes FOREVER for them to load, so I have to stop now before it's midnight. That's another reason why I hadn't been updating the blog- the amount of time it takes t load the pics, and really, what's a blog without pictures?
7 comments:
You can tell I follow your blog very closely. I liked this creative idea for a blog! You should take pictures of the big bakery sections.
Ooh, that's a good idea Lis. I will have to do that. I've gotten so used to how things are here (huge bakery sections, the deli where they sell hot dogs in bulk, etc) that I forget the unique things about it. So that's a great suggestion!
Will they take your camera in the store? I feel like the guards on the grocer roof would think you are up to something! Hey you should get a pic of them up on the lookout in the parking lot!
This blog is gonna be the most read and sought after! and get a pic of what happens when someone walks out in front of a car... like I forget and do! jejeje! Guess who!
Mom, I know that's you...you are the only one who writes "jeje" like a true spanish speaker and the only one who tries to take pictures in customs!
You guys are great and funny! We love your blog Annie! Always a good topic of coversation between me and Lis. We ask each other "did you see the latest post?"
Oh Annie! I can't get anything past you! Right JoJo, or is that "HoHo" in Sapnish! jejeje! Hey, I like to really document "life", when I think aobu tit now, I am embarassed for myself for not thinking jabout the customs thing! Now I am on a list in Mty and tex for Immigration and Customs! Then when I return to Mty I see they had to put up the frosted windows! The timing of that was perfect! Those are funny memories! Do any count as a you know what!?
Mom, they now accounce on the planes, "Cameras and cell phones are not allowed in the customs and immigrations area when we land". I wonder if they started that because of you! I'm not kidding, the last 2 times I flew, they made that little announcement as we landed with the rest of their spiel.
Post a Comment