Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What do you do all day? Part 1

Recently someone asked me, "What do you do all day?" Maybe you all wonder the same thing.  Well, here is a description of a typical day for our family.  Of course, not every day is like this....sometimes we change it up a bit, but for the most part, here is what we do!

between 6:30-7:30- Sammy and Emma wake up

7:30- Eat breakfast- Sammy is always really hungry when he wakes up and Emma drinks a cup of milk and then is full for a few hours. So this is the first breakfast time- Emma usually eats one bite, then says, "all done".  Emma will eat more in a couple hours. 



Then the kids play (and sometimes fight) while I clean up breakfast and do dishes from the night before if I was too tired to them then.

8:00am- Checo leaves for work

8:30- Kids brush teeth and get dressed

8:45- Morning walk- we used to go for about an hour or so, but as the kids get older, the less they want to sit in the stroller.  So we only go for about 30 minutes now....I'm holding onto the walk though, so that I can get a little excercise and we can all get outside in the morning.  I took lots of pictures so that you could see what we see on our walks.


Turning the corner from our house, walking around the loop in our neighborhood

The other side of the"loop"

Walking down the main road in our little neighborhood

Sammy and Emma in the stroller.  Corn flakes are on their trays to keep them busy!

Outside of the gate, walking down an empty road

Sammy always wants to recline, that's why he chooses to sit in the back every time!

Horses!  It's always the highlight of the walk if we see horses.  They are sometimes in an empty lot that we pass.

The road.  What you can't see is that there is a 4-way stop at the next intersection and how NO ONE stops!  It's really a danger zone.

On the road back to the entrance to our neighborhood

Almost there!

Back on our street, pretty mountains in the background

Home, sweet home.  Sammy is giving me quite the look because he's mad that I won't give him my keys to play with.

9:15- Back at home. The kids finish breakfast (or more like start breakfast for Emma) and watch a DVD while I plan our little "preschool lesson" for the day



My planning notebook- you probably can't read it because I usually write really messy and fast. 

I have a Sunday school curriculum that I've been using to teach Sammy and Emma Bible lessons with.  It's really great because it comes with all the character and visual aids to go along with the stories.  The other book is a wonderful book that has a developmentally appropriate activity for every week for the first 5 years of life!  The activities are pretty simple and don't require a lot of materials.

Here's the lesson for Emma's age (2 years, 3 weeks old)

9:30am- "Book time"- the kids go in their cribs and look at books by themselves for half an hour while I take a shower and get ready for the day. 
As you can see, Sammy loves "book time".  He just hops right in his crib and gets comfortable!  Yes, he's 3 years old and still in a crib.  We haven't gotten the rails to change his crib into a bed yet, so he is still there.  He doesn't complain and there is plenty of room to move around.

Emma during book time. 
Some of you might be thinking that it's crazy that I have things scheduled at different times each day.  Well, it works for us.  Sammy and Emma love knowing what they are going to do next and they happily transition to the next activity.  Of course, I am flexible with this schedule.  This is just for the days that we are home and have nothing "extra" do do.  I find that it helps the kids stay out of trouble too because they aren't bored, wandering around the house, looking for something to do.  It helps me make sure I'm doing their little preschool time also (more about the preschool time in part 2). 

By the way, somehow my spell check is set on Spanish or some other language, because when I click on it, it highlights almost every single word.  So I'm sure there are always errors in my writing.  If that bothers you, I'm sorry.  Most of the time I don't even proof read before I post!  So please just ignore all errors from here on out.

Part 2 will be posted tomorrow.  If you find this boring, that's okay, you don't have to read the future parts.  I'm kind of running out of ideas of things to write about (could you tell?) and I still have to write 21 more posts in the next 21 days.  I'm open to taking suggestions about what to write about, if you want to make some!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure your kids love you!

Anonymous said...

Annie I am really enjoying your blog. Seeing the pictures of where you live and the kids and hearing about your schedules and adventures are priceless. Thanks so much for sharing.
Miss ya, Breezy

Courtney said...

I loved hearing about a "day in the life"! I'm so impressed you do daily lessons with two little ones.

Here are some suggestions for other posts since you said you're running out of ideas: (I can't believe you are posting every day!!)

1. Do you read other blogs? Anything you think other people might enjoy/want to check out?

2. Are you a reader? Read any good books lately?

3. Not sure if this is too personal, but how is it to live so far away from your family? How often are they able to come visit?

4. A recipe post-share one of your favorite dinners

5. Post about a rough day and how you coped (or didn't!) You mentioned this the other day and I guess misery loves company. . . err I mean, it makes me feel less of a bad mom when I hear other people struggle too!

6. Wordless Wednesdays-just post a picture! You don't even have to write a caption!

That's all I can come up with right now. Guess I should take my own advice and post something on my blog!

The Flores Family said...

Breanna- I'm so glad that you enjoyed this post. I wasn't sure if people were going to like it or be bored with it!

Courtney- Those are great suggestions! Thank you so much. And don't be too impressed with the preschool time...it usually only lasts about 20-30 minutes and that includes playing with playdough or painting. I'll write more about it today.

Lisa said...

I love hearing about your day! I think it's great that you have that structure for them. I need to get that going for Emery because he has a terrible time with transitions and never wants to leave the house even when he is wandering and being destructive because he is bored! Hopefully with no school this summer, we can be more structured. That picture on the on the David C. Cook book looks like Emma! The girl on there even has the 2 ponies on the top of the head like they do there in Mexico and EL Salvador!
Book time is a great idea too. Sammy is such a good boy to stay in there when he can climb out if he wanted!

Marie W said...

I love the schedule.

The Flores Family said...

Lis- I think that girl looks like Emma too! When I first saw it, I told Checo that it looked like her! I know, Sammy is so good about staying in his crib....He tested out escaping for awhile, but then I think he realized that he loves resting in his crib so much...Why escape? Emma can escape her crib now too! A couple of weeks ago, I heard a banging coming from her bedroom after I got out of the shower (during book time). I went to see what it was and Emma was out of her crib trying to get out of her room. She couldn't open the door, so she was stuck in her room.

Thanks Marie. I'm glad you enjoyed it!